Thursday, February 10, 2011

The time I went to Kansas.

As I mentioned before, I was a late bloomer in the ways of literacy. Every day, the first fifteen minutes of class was devoted to writing in our journal. Some days she would let us write whatever we wanted, sometimes she gave us prompts. On one fine occasion, I decided to write about the time I went to Kansas.
 
Translation: 
One day my dad and my brother and his friend wanted to go to Kansas. I wanted to go too, but my brother said I couldn't go. Then when my dad got home he said I could go. So I started to pack. My friend wanted to go, too, so I asked my dad if she could go. He said yes. Then my sister wanted to go and my dad said yes. Then she found out that my brother and I were bringing a friend so she wanted to, too. She called a friend and asked if she wanted to go, and she did. So we all got ready to go but the man we wanted to see had a heart attack.
Notice how capturing my writing style is? It's almost enticing. I have had problems understanding if I started packing my friend or not, though. Whoever invented commas was a genius.
Good news, though! The guy we were going to see (who did, by the way have a heart attack or two), got better. We decided to go to Kansas so see him anyway. Apparently there's an annual RC plane race or something. My dad's friend was in it, hence the sudden trip. Since there were still going to be planes one way or another, my dad still wanted to go. So my dad, my sister Sarah, her friend Kimberly, Ben, Cody, Ashley and myself set out in our very crowded van to Kansas City. Most of the trip is not note-worthy, with the exception of the time Ashley's manipulating powers caused me to wander unto a stranger's farm.
When I say "wander" I mean more life deliberately jump the fence to pet the llama on the other side. It started licking us with it's disgusting tongue, so we decided to move on. Instead of re-mounting the fence and going back the way we came, Ashley convinced me that if we kept walking on the farm we might find chickens. I have no idea why we were on a farm in the middle of nowhere alone, or where anyone else was at this point, but our immaturity and irresponsibility lead us to walk along some man's acreage until we spotted a barn. When it processed in my brain that a person actually lived there, I was terrified. I wanted to run away. Ashley, being older, new more about human relations, however. She decidedly told me we were going to knock on his door. I knew it was a bad idea but I didn't know how many smelly llamas would be in the surrounding fields, so I figured it was best to stay near Ashley. She knocked on his wooden door. "Excuse me, sir" she said, "can we pet your chickens?" 

Lucky for us, the man was not a rapist or a serial killer, but a kind old man. He was confused, I'm sure. But he very clearly couldn't say no. He led us to his chicken pen to pet the nice little chickens. Soon thereafter, my dad pulled up in the van (the chicken pen was right against the fence near the dirt road), and yelled at us to get in the car. The nice old man helped Ash and I climb over the barbed wire fence, and we climbed into the vehicle. I don't remember anything else, but I'm sure my dad was very upset with us.

1 comment:

  1. ohh what a strange little child u were :P but in a good way =)..and look! you have 9 followers now!!!!
    -christian

    ReplyDelete