Monday, July 30, 2012

7: 365

Left to right: myself, Shelby, Natalie, Michaela



Saying Goodbye.
It is a season of change. Change means saying goodbye to many places. people and things. Saying goodbye to things and places is like removing a splinter-- it hurts to take out but it doesn't belong there so it needs to go. I've lost a lot of places and things lately, but it comes with a freeing feeling, knowing that holding on to those things isn't edifying anyway. But saying goodbye to people is different; it's less like taking out a splinter and more like ripping out an organ.

These particular people have seemed as much vital to my existence as my organs. Each one has served a unique and beautiful purpose in my life. The four of us make up something I feel unbelievably blessed to be apart of.

We've all come to the consensus that the four of us make up the four main hobbits in Lord of the Rings. Michaela is Merry, Natalie is Pippin, Shelby is Sam and I am Frodo. In a really nerdy and sentimental way I must say that I couldn't have walked this journey without my fellow hobbits.

One of the saddest parts of the entire trilogy for me to watch is when Pippin leaves Edoras with Gandalf and is separated from Merry. I know that I'm supposed to be Frodo, but I very much relate to this scene. There's something so sad about being separated without completely understanding why. And there's something heartbreaking about being so unsure about when you will all be united again.

The four of us hugging. We
look damn good together.
Merry and Pippin go on to both do very great and noble things (far more in the book than in the movie). The reunion of the two is a heart-wrenching scene that is almost entirely missed in the movie. Some day I'll be blogging that scene.

Saying goodbye is hard. Sometimes it's unexpected and sometimes it's unmerited. But what I've learned is that regardless of preparation it sucks. Much like Aragorn, my wise friend once said to me, "We are creatures that carry on, it's just that God is having me carry on somewhere else."


No comments:

Post a Comment